View Single Post
Old June 21, 2017, 02:16 AM   #58
stagpanther

Quote:
Not a bad group.
It's a fun one, even if there are teething problems, isn't it?

I'm glad you got the loads to run.

As for ejection...
I have two primary theories:

1. You're over-gassing it, and the small variations in charge weight and chamber pressure are changing the delay until the case releases from the chamber. The lack of brass deflector on the upper may be a contributor to the strange pattern(s).

2. (More likely?) I'd say it's probably a burr on the extractor, or too sharp of an angle on the extractor hook. Both problems (often found together) are very common on extractors made by anyone other than Tromix or RRA (even other "approved" makers). And, everyone makes mistakes. My first Tromix extractor was bad and caused stove-pipes or cases actually stuck on the extractor (smashing mouths on the ejection port and ruining those expensive cases ). Usually a little deburring and stoning can get them to run. Or, you can contact the company and ask for a replacement.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I did stone the extractor and ejector when I first got the bolt--also I'm not getting any notable damage to the case rim where they contact. I'll take the bolt apart and power-up the springs and see if that makes a difference. Got tons of 5.56 mags lying around around--be sure to use one of those next time.

My shoulder is actually a bit sore!

Are there other "go-to" powders other than lil gun for the 458 SC? I know from my 44 mag SBH even in a revolver it has a bit of a "reputation."

I found on Nosler's website their formula for their spitzer which is not listed in QL. Their top load is driven by 4227--which I suspected was a possibility so I'm going to give that a try next/

Last edited by stagpanther; June 21, 2017 at 10:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.02788 seconds with 8 queries