View Single Post
Old September 27, 2017, 06:41 AM   #1
Picher

.270 Moose-Killer Load!

The .270 Win, 140-grain Accubond, with 56.3 grains of Reloder 22 ripped into the 860 lb. bull's lungs at 290 paced yards, and it dropped into a small clearing, only 15 yards from the point it was shot off the haul road.

The bull was walking slowly toward a couple of cows we'd seen minutes earlier. Two other unseen bulls were heard, but never came to the road.

We sat for about a half-hour before legal shooting time, when we loaded up. The noise from three areas, as bulls thrashed and at least 6 moose chewed on branches...was a bit intimidating. I sat on my folding stool and held the rifle, left elbow on my knee. Fortunately it was a few minutes after legal shooting time when the bull appeared in the light fog. It looked like a silhouette target in a county fair shooting gallery, but he filled the woods road.

At the shot, it humped up and jumped forward, then thrashed on the ground for a few seconds before expiring, lungs greatly destroyed.

I don't hesitate to recommend the bullet for moose. (My load was zeroed at 200 yards, so held about 3" high and it hit pretty close to where intended to be. I under-estimated the range by about 50 yards.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John's Moose-Killer .270.jpg (87.8 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by Picher; September 29, 2017 at 05:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.02660 seconds with 9 queries