View Single Post
Old March 6, 2010, 11:29 PM   #32
rocklocker52

Ultrasonic Cleaning

I've got an M1 with and brand new Krieger cut rifled match barrel that I've just gotten broken in and its definitely a MOA gun, even with surplus HPX ammo.

I've been cleaning my cases for years with a Lyman tumbler, walnut media with red rouge in it. The cases come out nice and shiny on the outside, but I've always had to brush the inside of the cases to get the red rouge residue out.

I was running about 100 cases through the tumbler today and then brushed the insides. I noticed that, even with a vigorous brushing, there was some residue inside the cases so I tried racking them up and put them in the dishwasher with the soap. It ran for 90 minutes. The cases came out kind of an dark aged brass color-the bright shine was gone. I took some q-tips and ran them around inside the cases and they came out with ALOT of red rouge residue on them.

It seems to me that if that residue is left in the case and reloaded, some of it is going to blow out into the barrel on firing. If I don't clean the barrel bore and chamber after each shot, that residue is going to "fire lap" the bore, throat and chamber. It seems to me that if that continues with every shot , its going to go from fire lapping to just plain unnecessary and undesirable wear in the barrel.

I think I'm going to try an ultrasonic cleaner. If it doesn't work, I can always clean gun parts and my bride's jewelry in it.

Have any of you found a solvent that will break the bond of that red rouge dust from the inside of the case effectively?

"Telling a liberal the truth makes them angry while telling a conservative a lie makes them angry" How do you like that change now?

Page generated in 0.03162 seconds with 8 queries