View Single Post
Old June 14, 2012, 07:03 PM   #119
Jammer Six

I suggest there would have been doubt had he been bright enough not to film his own confession.

We'd have been right back at he-said-they-all-said then. And the case could have gone forward, or even worse, hinged a jury of one.

In this particular case, he'd have been standing there chanting "I'm in fear for my life" instead of "I'm in fear for my life and I'm standing my ground", and hopefully, he'd still be going to prison tonight.

Like filing a lawsuit, nothing prevents a prosecution except a prosecutor. What a stand your ground law might prevent is a conviction or a trial.

On the other side, I've been thinking about stand your ground laws and the other people in this case.

Do you think they needed a law to protect them from the state regarding their actions that night?

And I disagree, vehemently, that those goals are worthwhile.

We should not require protection from prosecution. Prosecution that we need to be protected from indicates that it's far, far to easy for the state to prosecute us, and to pass laws that limit our freedom.

The burden must remain on the state, and never on the citizen. Better to let a thousand guilty men go than to convict one innocent man.

Last edited by Jammer Six; June 14, 2012 at 07:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.02217 seconds with 8 queries