View Single Post
Old June 28, 2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Theohazard

Using a pistol to fight to your rifle.

I work retail at a gun shop that has a range that also runs classes. So an instructor asked me to help out with an advanced class, and it came time for the rifle/pistol barrier shooting drill. The idea was to start unarmed, shoot from one location, then move to another location to retrieve a magazine for a reload, and make sure to engage all targets at least four times each with only hits on the blue areas. All the students ran it either with a pistol only or started with a rifle and transitioned to a pistol, moving all the way to the barriers closest to the targets in order to accurately engage those targets.

I ran it last and I decided to start with a Condition 3 pistol and move to an unloaded rifle; a pistol is almost always more handy, but I wanted to show that you should use your pistol to get to your rifle. And with the rifle, I didn't have to move forward to be accurate enough to engage the targets effectively without collateral damage.

I have a link to the video below. My excuse for my slow shooting (especially with the pistol; I forgot it wasn't at Condition 1) is that I haven't run a shooting drill like this since I got out of the Marine Corps 13 years ago . But my hits were almost all right on target and my two rifle reloads were good, so I can't complain (though I should have finished the second reload before I popped out from behind cover).

Oh, and I did have three hits on the white no-hit areas on the rightmost target, but that was from shooting through another target; my excuse for that is my home-defense .223 ammo is 50 gr. V-Max which is unlikely to over-penetrate .

Thanks for watching the video and feel free to critique anything you see; I want to get better and the best way is to be willing to take constructive criticism.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgkhsfyz599c49d/VIDEO0056.mp4

Page generated in 0.03950 seconds with 8 queries