View Single Post
Old March 30, 2013, 02:40 PM   #43
Frank Ettin
Staff

We've kind of come full circle from pax' post 6:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
...Revolvers are difficult to master for defensive use. If there's any question at all about her hand strength, that should immediately rule out a revolver because of the long, heavy DA trigger pull. (Lots of reasons not to use revolver in SA mode for self-defense -- safety and speed the most important of those.)...
Yes, revolvers are simple to use, but my experience teaching beginners confirms pax' observation. Women (and men) depending on hand strength and hand size can have great difficulty with the long, heavy trigger pull of many DA revolvers (and many DA semi-autos). With my short fingers, I can't handle a Smith & Wesson N frame well in DA.

Picking an appropriate handgun really should include: (1) an NRA Basic Handgun class; (2) handling and trying, under qualified supervision, a variety of handguns; and (3) finding which one and which types one can best manage.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03828 seconds with 8 queries