View Single Post
Old March 30, 2011, 08:41 PM   #26
Woodyed

ipscchef----When I said by custom bullet makers I was referring to Berger, Nosler, Swift, or Barnes. My principle game animal that I hunt now are deer, but I have in past years hunted Moose in Canada. Have taken a couple of Moose (bull & cow) using 30-06 and Core-lok bullets that I handloaded. All one shot kills also.

Ol'Coot---- I also have a few years under my belt hunting and reloading. I'm 77 now and have been hunting since I was 14. Been reloading for about 55 years now so I'm not a greenhorn at that either. In respect to your statement about making a bad shot and having a much better chance of retrieving the animal because it was a premium 60 cent or more bullet that was used, I have to wonder what enhanced quality was in that bullet that can't be found in a regular Core-lok or Interlock bullet and still wouldn't have the same end result. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter how you slice it or whether it's a 19 cent bullet or a 60 cent one and the only thing that might possibly make a difference is how the bullet mushroomed, what tissue or organs were damaged, where the animal was hit, and amount of penetration. I haven't seen or experienced any difference between 19 cent and 60 cent bullets in any of these instances and that is why I stick with Core-lok's or Interlocks. I have used Nosler and Barnes bullets in past years and I have failed to see any significant difference in performance or visual inspection of recovered bullets or wound channels inflicted.
So to each his own, if you like the premium bullets and can afford them then by all means use them. I personally can't afford them as I have to save my money for gas. Damn oil prices anyway.

Last edited by Woodyed; March 30, 2011 at 08:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.02247 seconds with 8 queries