View Single Post
Old December 5, 2009, 10:00 AM   #145
Skans

Quote:
I know it's very common and fashionable to mistrust lawyers.
I don't have a beef with lawyers, per se. I simply think that the use of a trust or corp to purchase NFA comes with some real problems. Recreational use of firearms by individuals seems contrary to what trusts are set up for - i.e. the preservation of assets or distribution upon death. How many folks who have these trusts actually set up bank accounts in the name of the trust for the purpose of paying all related costs to shooting NFA item?

But, the bigger question is really what purpose does it serve for the trustee of such a trust to take the gun out to the range and do mag dumps with it. A trust might work fine for guns that are nothing but safe queens, but I think there is a real contridiction using them for guns you want to use and shoot. I think it would way too easy for BATFE to simply declare by "special ruling" that all NFA guns in trusts can only be kept for investment purposes - not used for target practice, etc. If everyone started putting their NFA items in trusts, it sure would be an easy way for BATFE to prohibit people from ever using them.

Page generated in 0.03855 seconds with 8 queries