View Single Post
Old May 12, 2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Covering several responses....

To DBX and Raider,

Think DBX has this one. My initial concern was inconsistent pressure holding the mold closed. The spring makes it consistent in its present configuration.

Tnx,

To DBX,

The spring came from a clamp that you can get anywhere...Well anywhere like Home Creepo, Lowes, and such. I just drilled out the rivets and then crawled around on the floor until I found the spring which vaulted across the shop when the clamp let go. (Boooing). I like to buy stuff like this at Harbor Freight because if it doesn't have to be of real high quality you can save a couple bucks at HF. I think I gave 99 cents or 1.99 for the clamps. I have about a dozen of then (well...eleven now) because you simply can not have too many clamps.

Also...Good idea on the brass brush. They have those at H.F. too.

Tnx,

To MCB,

I believe that I am....I included the results of casting with the Ideal mold and these handles in the previous post. I got better consistency from that set up than I measured in Hornady store bought bullets. I have found that weight is not a useful comparison for me. I don't have a scale that is precise enough to pick up the minute variations in weight between bullets that are only one thousandths different in diameter (at least not at .454 and there abouts) They consistently come in at about 137 regardless of whether they are .454 or .455. The .451 balls weigh about 133 even though the diameter is plus or minus five ten thouandths. I started weighing them three times to get a good average. Doesn't matter. The average of three times 137 is still 137.

Tnx,

Page generated in 0.02415 seconds with 8 queries