Thread: Ch REloaders
View Single Post
Old March 22, 2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I have a Mk IV and the illustration in an old Handloader's Digest shows them to be similar except your Mk V has the primer feed moved to the back of the machine for greater safety.

If it is really the same on the advance system...

Look on the left side of the machine where the black "clevis" rocks down to push the cartridge slide from left to right. On the left edge of the top plate of the machine is the "clevis pawl" which hooks under the corner of the "clevis" to move it as the top plate moves up on the upstroke of the handle. It is spring loaded to snap over the clevis on the handle downstroke. The screw that holds the "clevis pawl" in against its spring can be turned to give a small range of adjustment to the "clevis" movement. Adjust by backing it out about a quarter turn at a time.

If yours is like mine, this will help for a while but not long. I have found that The Cure is to take the "clevis pawl" clear out, clean it, the spring, the screw, and the hole very thoroughly and lubricate with oil being careful not to drip around powder and primer handling, of course. When mine starts short shifting the brass, I will tweak the screw a time or two and then give up and clean and lube the "clevis pawl." It goes back to its original position with normal operation for a reasonable length of time.

If yours is different from mine or if cleaning, lubing, and adjusting the "clevis pawl" does not help, C-H still has some parts and some people who know how the Autochamps work and will talk to you. Their insuror is scared of progressive loaders and they will not sell new units or work on old ones.

If that fails, go to TheHighRoad.org and get in touch with Paul "Fitz" Jones. He was closely associated with the old-line reloading companies like C-H, Star, and SAECO and literally wrote the book on dealing with the early progressives. If anybody knows, he will.

Page generated in 0.02433 seconds with 8 queries