View Single Post
Old September 3, 2002, 09:01 PM   #12
JackM

All the gents gave you good advice. I'll just add a few things. Put a wooden matchstick behind a short flint to move it closer to the frizzen. However, you don't want it touching the frizzen and back an eight or the thickness of a match stick works well. Oil the frizzen pivot screw and the spring where the frizzen slides along it. A stiff frizzen can hang up the flint and cock -- no sparks.

3F works in the pan but a can of 4F is good for 2000 shots, so it's worth your trouble to hunt some up. If a flint is getting dull move it sideways a bit so it cuts a new track on the frizzen. I'm not sure I should give you any advice on sharpening flints. I got a handfull of gravel more than once. Use a new flint for hunting, of course.

My T/C flinter was used when I bought it. Dull flint, wore out frizzen and a can of Pyrodex. I think I averaged a shot an hour. I picked up a can of Goex and Dr. Sam Fadala's book the next day. Much Better.

Speaking of service, I ordered a new frizzen from T/C. It didn't fit the lock so I sent it back with the measurements of the old one. They said they didn't have any that old anymore, so they sent me a whole new lock, FREE

How fast can you shoot a flinter? From the very interesting Dixie Gun Works catalogue. "No recruit to be dismissed from the drill until he is so expert with his firelock, as to load and fire 15 times in 3 minutes and three quarters." 1768.

Have fun
Jack

Page generated in 0.03483 seconds with 8 queries