View Single Post
Old July 13, 2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

a couple good points... I have a pretty rotten & in need of attention basement casement window that is where I want to put my "safe room" I have been considering framing in an unframed thermopane window with tempered glass for the house, & a barred from the inside, like the door, opening inward steel window big enough that if trapped inside, it could be unbarred, opened inward & the thermopane shattered ( if not already ) to allow an alternate escape route...

I have also thought about full house colapse ( though looking at most tornado type pics have most of the actual house missing ) a small chainsaw could be kept inside for trimming & or cutting your way out, if both escape routes are blocked... also in that type of situation you could at least yell to any emergency response personnel, if you didn't want to store the chain saw in with the guns ...

& funny you mention the LP gas tank... mine is a 1000 gallon tank, & is regulation distance from the house & positioned to where it is unlikely it could "roll" towards the safe room... also I'm of the type of person, that thinks if something is worth my time doing, it's worth doing right... "I" personally installed my LP tank... it has concrete footings, with a 1/2" x 6" steel strip conctete anchored into the concrete, then heavy bolts bolting the tanks feet to the plate... I've had anyone thats serviced my tank tell me "that's the most level", "the most sturdy" etc. mounted tank they have ever seen...

of course I'm of the belief that if it's your time... it's your time... & if the tank was ripped from it's mount, & lifted 100's of feet into the sky, only to drop on my safe room, like a big bomb... well then I guess it just must've been my time

Page generated in 0.06285 seconds with 8 queries