View Single Post
Old October 20, 2013, 11:29 AM   #32
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Norris
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers
Did anyone address my question about the original owner putting them in a locked container, and keeping the only key, as a way to retain possession, while leaving them with his brother in Wyoming?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
To avoid the appearance of a transfer, the locked storage place, or even possibly the locked trunk path might have sufficed.
To further support the view that a locked container making the gun accessible only to the "owner" might avoid the transfer problem inherent in having someone store your guns, ATF has advised here that one may ship a firearm to himself in care of another person in another State.

Specifically ATF has said (emphasis added):
Quote:
6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02394 seconds with 8 queries