View Single Post
Old May 21, 2001, 07:58 AM   #41
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Dave,

I don't think we are too far apart in our views and I DON'T take anything away from the UFC guys. Many of them are awesome in their conditioning, technique, and dedication to training. But I believe their training can handicap them in a real fight though not as badly as the training regimens of some other martial styles.

I've seen a man who had a medical history of five spinal cord tumors, fractured lumbar vertabrae,and a brain tumor, who at 120 lbs. was 60 lbs below his normal weight- totally dominate and beat the hell out of a 250 lb man in ten seconds. This man could not walk without holding on to something with both hands. He looked like he had recently been released from Auschwitz and had just that day gotten up from six months in the bed after a brutal spinal cord surgery. Strategy did it. It doesn't matter how strong you are if you can't breathe and your carotids are constricted to the point that no blood gets to your brain. This man simply reached out with his left hand and slid the middle two fingers behind the knot of his opponent's tie and gripped the knot with his entire hand and twisted it. He then pulled his opponent over the counter top separating them (incidentally hold himself up by the guy's throat and maintaining his balance) and proceeded to hammer the opponent in the face with his right fist.

This man (my father) knew strategy well but had something even more important-the heart of a warrior. He once said something to me that I would not believe from any other person I have ever known. After decades of constant pain that wouldn't allow him to sleep well even with constant use of narcotics he said to me one night,"Byron, I'd give up if I could...I've tried to give up... but I don't know how to give up." And he continued his fight for another 15 years.

Technique is good. Conditioning is good. Strength is good.
Speed is good. And all else being equal, they are winners.

These qualities have only one drawback: they inevitably degrade with advancing age.

Strategy does not degrade with advancing age...neither does spririt. I'll spend my time studying strategy and working on my spirit.

Page generated in 0.03599 seconds with 8 queries