Thread: Krav Maga
View Single Post
Old March 23, 2001, 12:11 PM   #6
chokeu2

I have a direct interest, and first hand knowledge of this subject. Krav Maga, is a great exercise in marketing. Krav Maga means Self Defence. It is "taught" to the Israeli forces, like any force teaches its troops. I run a fight school in Atlanta and Porto Allegre Brazil. We teach Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, and Kali. Not to mention, my partners brother is the owner of Taurus firearms. So you can imagine our programs...We have a serious interest in what works. Armed and un-armed. And we have the ability to give what works. Tried and tested in the real world. We teach to law enforcement. Which is an ever growing client base because they have discovered that there is a lot of hype in programs like that. Krav Maga is on the same level as the HORRIBLE SCARS system. That program is an outright joke. Those guys will not step up to prove their art, because "it is too deadly!" That is laughable. Krav Maga has been the same way. Cool name, cool symbols... What else do you need?

At any rate, the "people" from a couple different Krav Maga associations have approached us about teaching our stuff and calling it Krav Maga. They just wanted to re-name the stuff we teach. That's all. And the stuff that they are teaching in the associations, the one in LA being a major culprit, is hardly "effective". I was asked to evaluate the knife defense videos, and some of the other hand to hand videos, and they were absolutely horrible. they are not practicle. Nor, are they effective. There were so many movements that places you at an off balanced position. and so many movements that could only work in training, unless you have the timing of Bruce Lee. Right now, all they are teaching is re-packaged traditional martial arts. And some things that I think they made up. You try front kicking the knife out of an attackers hand. Never mind that he will cut you, even as an untrained thug. Imagine what would have if you tried to do that garbage to a guy who knows how to use a blade. I personally would remove the vascular system of your lower leg. Traditional arts are fine if you are interested in the science of the martial arts. But they are not practical in todays world.

They have a product to sell. Just stop and think about this. They claim that they can teach you to "master" Krav Maga in a few week long, and very expensive seminars. Is that even rational to think that would be effective? No, it is not. Kind of like a Wade Cook investment seminar, alot of hot air. And a ton of money.

If you want effective training, find a place that teaches something like Muay Thai, or kali. Kali is a very lethal weapons art, that is very effective. You will not find a better striking art than Muay Thai, and you will not find a better way to protect yourself on the ground than BJJ. Now, I do not say this out bias for my styles. I chose my styles because they are probably the most effective out there. I have been at this a while. The reason I say this is because these guys are selling alot of people a very false sense of security. And they are part of what makes the business of martial arts bad. They sell hype. Any of you in the Atlanta area, are more than welcome to come train with us at any time. Then you will see totally effective fight training.

Page generated in 0.03452 seconds with 8 queries