View Single Post
Old June 2, 2012, 10:08 AM   #50
CrustyFN

Quote:
I know the FCD will (is supposed to) ensure chambering by sizing down to proper SAAMI dimensions (diameter, at least), but will it tell you before it does? (Doing it after is kind of pointless, isn't it?)

Just wondering.

I pictured a little flag jumping up to let you know, or something like a powder check die.

Lost Sheep
When a round goes into the FCD and it is in spec you feel nothing and very little when the crimp is applied. When the round is out of spec and the post sizing ring comes into play you can feel the resistance, similar to sizing. When one gets post sized I set it to the side to be inspected. I use the FCD for loading 9mm, 38/357 and 45 auto with jacketed and lead bullets. I have only had two rounds get post sized. It was six years ago and they were both 9mm with jacketed bullets. I have loaded thousands of rounds since with none of them being post sized. I enjoy loading but don't want to spend the extra time case gauging my match ammo. This method has worked good for me as I have never had an ammo malfunction at a match.

I agree with everybody that the FCD shouldn't be used to fix most of what somebody is loading when they can fix it with proper die adjustment. I do see the FCD as a very useful tool and not just for people that that can't load good ammo without it.

Last edited by CrustyFN; June 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.03500 seconds with 8 queries