View Single Post
Old May 16, 2012, 12:47 AM   #18
Viper225

Wheelyfun has some very good points.

I would like to see more who carry shoot their carry handgun in a Defensive Pistol Match regularly. I will guarantee lots of changes in equipment.

I do shoot my carry guns in our Clubs Bi Monthly Defensive Pistol Match in BUG and SSR Division. This month I made 2 runs with my LCR22 in BUG Division, and one run with my 2-1/2" 310 Night Guard shooting 40 S&W in SSR. We shoot a Steel Challange in June, and July will be another Defensive Pistol Match. I will probably shoot my 442 Pro Moon Clip in this match in BUG using Moon Clips to reload, carried in California Competition Works 5 Shot J Frame Moon Clip Carriers. I always shoot my S&W 64 SSR Gun. I will probably shoot my 610 or 310NG again also. I might even shoot my 2-1/2" 66 in July. NOTE: We shoot an Outlaw IDPA Match. We only have SSR for Revolvers. No ESR Division. BUG also shoots the full course of fire like everything else, only with 5 rounds instead of 6, or 10 shots instead of 12. No Penalty for not shooting the 6th round in BUG. The round not fired is treated like a Hit, No Time Added to your score.
When you start shooting matches with your carry gun you will quickly discover if you have a Shootable Platform. You will figure out if you can get your handgun into play rapidly or not. You will discover how reloadable your handgun is. You will discover if you can get hits on target.
If you cannot hit with your carry handgun, you cannot get it into play, and you cannot reload it. You need to find a More Shootable Handgun to carry. You may need a different method of carry for both your handgun and spare ammunition.
That is the Bottom Line.

I have 9 revolvers from a 2" LCR 22 through a 4" 610 that I conceal carry. I can and do compete in our Defensive Pistol Match with every one of them at some point during the year. I carry every one of them in a Lobo Pancake carried at 4 O'Clock. I reload using Speed Strips, Speed Loaders, as well as Moon Clips depending on the handgun. Every revolver I own is a SHOOTABLE Platform. I can hit well with every one of them. I can get them all reloaded without any issues, and I can get them into play and on target fairly rapidly. I have complete confidence in every one of them. If you do not feel that way about your carry handgun, you need to be carrying something else.
Just My 2 Cents

Bob

Last edited by Viper225; May 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.02415 seconds with 8 queries