Thread: Punt gun build
View Single Post
Old July 21, 2019, 03:22 PM   #15
HiBC

Its not my intent to discourage or encourage you with this project. You do what makes you happy.
I'm in favor of no one getting hurt.
For some perspective,I suggest you use the formula Area = pi x (radius squared) .Figure the difference in surface area between a 50 caliber breech plug and a 2 inch breech plug. Now multiply that times whatever breech pressure you will achieve.
The loads get impressive as the area goes up. I'm not engineer enough to give you any guidance.

I'd be careful about the steel I used.I've turned thin sleeves out of bar stock for a barrel band,etc,.They were very susceptible to splitting.The same part made of seamless drawn over mandrel aircraft tubing worked fine.

I don't have my old Ryreson and Jorgensen steel books anymore,but I recall products such as Holobar,and Seamless drawn over mandrel aircraft tubing,and also a thicker walled DOM seamless tubing with a precision finished bore intended for manufacturing hydraulic cylinders.

I'm not saying these will be a good answer,but they give you something to look at.

Page generated in 0.02628 seconds with 8 queries