View Single Post
Old June 28, 2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I wanted to duplicate the factory Speer 124gr +p load.
I never try to duplicate factory ammo; as it is pretty much an exercise in futility. But I have emulated a few. The difference between "duplicate" and "emulate" is more than just semantics in my mind.

It so happens that Speer's 124gn +P (Speer# 23617) is my chosen carry ammo for my Kahr CW9 (3.7" bbl). It chronographs at 1182 f/s through that gun (in case you wanted to know that for reference). And although I have over 500 of Speer's 124 GDHP's in my loading stock, I have not tried to emulate Speer's 23617 round - yet. It's on my agenda of load work-ups in my head, but just isn't a high priority. Have other irons in the fire, so to speak.

Quote:
I believe I could squeeze some more velocity (than the 1240 f/s) but why risk it?
Exactly. And this where the difference between "duplicate" and "emulate" comes in. 1240 f/s is plenty stout - regardless of where the factory ammo chronographs through your gun (which you didn't mention). Speer's Gold Dot bullet design/construction/profile is designed to expand at much lower velocities - probably around - or even under - 1000 f/s. So you definitely have a potent round there.

Time to move on to the next project

P.S. You mentioned a 15 MPH West wind; but didn't mention which way you were facing

Page generated in 0.02997 seconds with 8 queries