View Single Post
Old May 27, 2021, 03:24 PM   #15
jmr40

I know 2 guys locally who sold their hunting rifles and bow hunt only. One uses traditional long bows only. Those guys hunt all over the USA.

I started bow hunting in the 1970's with a recurve. Compound bows weren't legal here in GA until the early 1980's. I didn't buy a compound until the late 1980's and I'm on my 2nd one now.

For a lot of reasons I prefer a 50+ year old recurve that I have but end up hunting with the compound more. With regular practice I'm good for 30-35 yards with the recurve, but I have to shoot every few days to keep up that skill level. I can pick up the compound after no use for months and hit where I aim out to 50 yards with the 1st shot. They are a lot easier to use.

And while I know guys who only bow hunt, I know several others who gave up on archery because it became too complex. It is easy to get caught up in all of the gear associated with archery. There are a million gadgets and something new every year. I think that is why I prefer the simplicity of my recurve. I've been using the same compound for 25 years. Some guys just can't resist trying new stuff.

I got off the archery train when they started allowing cross bows. I won't knock those who use them, but coming from a longbow and recurve a crossbow is just a bridge too far for me. I don't even like the compound all that much. But have to acknowledge that I shoot it so much better that I tolerate it.

Winston Churchill

Page generated in 0.03002 seconds with 8 queries