Thread: 44 Special
View Single Post
Old April 19, 2013, 07:22 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
...What are the features that determine a Keith bullet?...
Aside from the sharp shoulder, the large crimp groove, the shape size and shape of the lube groove, I remember Elmer (in his writings), insisted that each of the bands on the bullet be equal in width. As I remember, he was not happy with early Lyman molds because they were not faithful in that respect to his design. Also, a Keith bullet had a very large radius for the nose (with that flat nose), that assured a very heavy bullet compared to the caliber. It is noteworthy that the early Lyman 49421 .44 molds, although sold as "Keith-type bullets had a round lube groove. They changed that to the "trapezoid", shaped groove at about the time that RCBS got into the bullet mold business...which was the best thing to happen to we bullet casters. Lyman molds were just about the "only game in town" (we never heard of Hensley and Gibbs), back then. Then RCBS began producing better molds (bigger blocks, better finished blocks, thicker sprue plates, at a lower price), than Lyman and Lyman had to improve their product.
If anyone else can remember something about the original bullets as designed by Elmer Keith that I have overlooked, please share it with us.

Page generated in 0.02673 seconds with 8 queries