View Single Post
Old July 16, 2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Antoni Scott

Distinguished Expert level

I just received my Distinguished Expert certification. I have been target shooting most of my life (both .22 and air pistol) but just recently decided to go for the levels.

Since I am 70 years old, it is an uphill battle against steadiness and physical fitness so for any shooter that wishes to go for the levels I would recommend doing it sooner than later.

An old ex-marine friend of mine (Francis Higginson USMC) was a Camp Perry winner back in 1970 and told me several things that I thought really helped me get to my Distinguished Expert goal.

1. Air pistols are the best way to train since low pellet velocity keeps the pellet in the barrel longer making it subject to slight movement from poor trigger control follow through. I recommend a Steyr or FWB. They are no-nonsense air pistols. Spend most of your time shooting the air pistol. I happen to use an Steyr LP 50 Rapid fire air pistol which fine tuned my cadence.

2. Two thirds of your score in timed and rapid ( not slow). The nine and ten scoring rings are wider in the black. Concentrate most of your shooting on timed and rapid.

3. Forget the Bull's Eye. Concentrate on front to rear sight alignment. Since a 1/100th of an inch misalignment between the front and rear sight can be four inches at 50 yards on a six inch barrel, you can see why its important.

Don't lift weights or hold a weight with extended hand. Throw away the lead gun.

4. I use the lowest velocity ammunition I can get (CCI Target).

5. Grip. I have a S&W Mod. 41, .22 caliber. The original grips are aweful and all of the American made aftermarket grips are just as bad. Spend the $250 for Rinks or Morini grips (Steyr air pistols use Morini grips), you won't believe the difference.

Hope all that helps.

Page generated in 0.03478 seconds with 8 queries