View Single Post
Old January 24, 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
603Country

I hope I didn't sound too awfully abrupt in my response. The problem for a fellow trying to answer your question is that you weren't clear on what all you planned to do with the rifle. If it's just long range paper punching, then you'd probably want a real long range rifle, which will be far too heavy and bulky for any sort of hunting. If you do plan some hunting with this rifle, then you need a different sort of rifle. If you are going to do both, which is what I based my response on, then a 24 inch barrel is plenty (though you could go to 26 inches, but going past 24 inches is a lot of barrel). And the barrel contour needs to be something at least reasonable weight-wise, so that you won't need a rolling bipod to get the gun to the field. As for barrel twist, I thin you (and I) heard from others that a 1 in 7 will stabilize the 90 grain bullet and that a 1 in 8 twist "might" adequately stabilize it. That makes it your choice, but I don't think I'd spend as much money as you are about to on a barrel that might or might not stabilize the bullet you have chosen to shoot. Talk to some serious long range guys or specialty gunsmiths and get as much advice as you can regarding what you plan to do and what you plan to do it with. You want to get as close to right as you can the first time you spend the big bucks. Personally, I'd find a top notch gunsmith that works with the type rifle you want and sit down with him to discuss this at length.

Page generated in 0.02148 seconds with 8 queries