Thread: coal issue
View Single Post
Old January 4, 2012, 08:56 AM   #12
hornetguy

I think perhaps you are worrying about a non-problem.

Unless you are doing benchrest shooting, and are looking for that final "thousandth" in group size.

I've been loading rifles for about 40 years, and have never used a comparator. It would be a nice tool to have, but is certainly not necessary.
I usually try to seat the bullet to within a few thousandths of the lands, by marking a bullet with a marks-a-lot, then chambering, looking for marks from the lands. When the marks appear, I back off a tad, and call it good.
If my dies didn't seat the bullet to pretty much the same depth each time, I'd throw them out. Or get another press.
As stated before, the critical dimension is from the base of the case to the ogive of the bullet. What sticks out past the ogive is not critical, unless it is too long for your magazine.
If the bullet is seated consistently to the same depth at the ogive, and I had large differences in the bullet shape/length ahead of the ogive, I'd buy different bullets.

Page generated in 0.03012 seconds with 8 queries