View Single Post
Old October 19, 2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Jim Watson

All 1917 revolvers were chambered .45 ACP.
If it will shoot .45 Colt, I see three possibilites.
1. It was rechambered. I never heard of any general program, certainly not by NRA, but it would not be a complicated job... if you had the reamer. The normal rim thickness of .45 Colt vs rim+clip of .45 ACP or the thick rim of .45 AR could make ignition spotty, depending on tolerances in headspace and firing pin protrusion. I doubt there would be a risk of case rupture or head separation with modern solid head brass.
2. It is out of the first run of Colts which are commonly said to have been chambered straight through without headspacing shoulder. Not many of these are actually seen, maybe they replaced the cylinders later.
3. It has a .45 Colt cylinder installed. Which would require shortening the barrel shank and cutting back the litte nub on the sideplate that keeps the cylinder from sliding back off the crane when open.

Will it accept .45 ACP in clips? If so then 1 or 2 applies. If there is a visible reduction in chamber diameter ahead of the case mouth position, then it is no. 1, rechambered.

Page generated in 0.02714 seconds with 8 queries