Thread: Which Shotgun?
View Single Post
Old November 1, 2000, 03:31 PM   #9
Dave McMillan

My points were made based upon those who want to obtain a firearm for "home defense" but are unwilling to make the commitment necessary to properly train in the safe use of the firearm. My definition of "casual user." I understand that nobody on the forum meets that definition since your presence here means you have some degree of enthusiasm to learn more about firearms.

With that definition in mind....

I will concede that a revolver is easier for the novice to discharge and unload. Every single novice that I introduce to handgun shooting instinctively puts their finger on the trigger as soon as they take the handgun into their hand. Even after repeatedly discussing the proper grip, demonstrating for them, they all put that index finger on the trigger. My children all did the same until working with them repeatedly and frequently.

Given that experience...

I read the news stories about "accidental shootings." That's the only source. That's why I said I "feel". I haven't looked at any studies, but intuitively a DA revolver will go bang with less user input than a pistol with an empty chamber. Again, I'm not talking to the professionals, I'm referring again to my "casual owner."

Of interest, one of the recent local "accidental shootings" with a revolver was simply a bunch of teens playing Russian roulette. The news only reported that the gun was being pass around and the teens were pointing at their heads. I don't think that's an accidental shooting by most definitions. I think it's loosing the game. Smart bunch, can't wait till they play the game with a pistol.

Dave McC, I agree completely with all your points. Thanks.

ljl, I was only meaning to discuss the "never owned a gun, what should I get" issue. Do you think that a revolver is the best defense weapon for someone who never touches it until it's needed thus fails to appreciate the need to safely handle it?

Page generated in 0.04554 seconds with 8 queries