Thread: Remington 788
View Single Post
Old August 7, 2010, 12:09 AM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...my Remington 788..." What chambering? Decidedly under rated rifles in any chambering. Rumour has it that Remington discontinued 'em because they were too good for an entry level rifle.
"...Maybe I am being an idiot..." Hi. Not even a little. A guy who thinks about it is a very long way from the guy who just starts cutting.
"...what kind of a price am I looking at?..." Assorted Rem 788 stocks(walnut, et al) can be had here for reasonable money. The chambering matters though. About half way down. http://www.gun-parts.com/remingtonstocks/
When you install a pad, you can adjust the LOP to fit you. A quick way of finding your LOP is to put a yardstick in your bent elbow and grasping it. Where your finger comes is your LOP. Shouldering a yard stick like a rifle and looking where your finger comes works too.
Yes, you must cut the stock to compensate for the thickness of the pad. A mitre box(can't say as I've ever seen one wide enough for a butt stock for any rifle though) or saw is the best way. Followed by a bench belt sander(your stationary sander) to match the pad to the stock. Masking tape on the wood helps.
"...if I messed up mine would be a nightmare..." Only if you don't have the tools. Not everybody does. You have tools/machines most guys don't. Especially guys living in one bedroom apartments. I'm insanely jealous. snicker.
"...There are better ways to check..." Nope. Far more complicated for something that isn't.

Page generated in 0.03798 seconds with 8 queries