View Single Post
Old April 14, 2012, 06:04 AM   #17
Bart B.

I wouldn't use precisely weighed charges of ball powder when metered extruded powder with a 2 to 3 tenths grain spread in charge weight's won more matches and set more records in centerfire rifle shooting than any ball powder. While ball powder's got a huge following and consistant charge weights may produce lower spreads in muzzle velocity and peak pressure, those two things do not guarantee best accuracy. However, if one bases accuracy on the average size of a few 3- or 5-shot groups fired from a rifle held against their shoulder, then most any combination of everything will surface as the "best" load. I don't think there's enough paper on this planet to list all the "favorite" or "most accurate" loads for a given cartridge and bullet.

I don't know of any benchrest match won with or record set with 22 or even 24 caliber rifles with ball powder. Hodgdon 322 extruded powder's done better in benchrest matches in these calibers with metered (not weighed to exact amounts) than all other powders combined.

Last edited by Bart B.; April 14, 2012 at 07:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.03126 seconds with 8 queries