View Single Post
Old October 11, 2018, 11:01 AM   #60
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I've done a fair amount of work with the 6.8spc case and wildcats derived from it--the case design is a very good one and if you can push the COL past 2.26--which is very easy to do even within the limits of existing weapons designs--you gain performance by being able to seat longer bullets to a longer COL while gaining additional case capacity for powder. With the 7.62 x 39 I've been able to significantly exceed the 2400 fps using a 125 gr bullet with the right powder and bullet combination, but the case design just isn't going to allow the same flexibility in longer bullets and/or longer COL. IMO it's strength--chamber and go bang every time no matter what no matter who made it or uses it--is also it's weakness in that it allows very little variation and still allow ultra reliability with the world's vast population of AK's. The stubby .310/.311 belly flops ballistically pretty quickly as the range stretches out (still wouldn't want to be hit by one though).

One of the biggest weaknesses I see in the vast majority of "hybrid" AR cartridge design barrels is the functionality of the feed ramps and barrel extension lugs--almost all of which rigidly adhere to the standard M4 type. This is what I attribute a lot of functional reliability issues too. If, for example, you look at the 458 socom (another "best of breed" design IMO, which, like the 6.8spc had SF guys have a hand in it's development, leading one to believe maybe they do know a thing or two about cartridge designs) you can see the bottom lugs on the extension are "faired" to one smooth ramp for the cartridge to reliably make it into the chamber. Admittedly this is because it's a single stack design; but with not too much work on things like barrel extension, magazine and bolt face designs a whole lot of functional and accuracy issues could be improved upon IMO.
The 7.62X39 is supposedly one the best, if not the best, intermediate cartridges for chambering in a SBR... a weapon with a barrel length of from about 8 inches to around 14 inches.

This might simplify the reason ordnance would select the similar 6.8...for use in short barrels for better handling in urban environs, vehicles, etc.

Page generated in 0.03402 seconds with 8 queries