Old November 12, 2015, 06:34 PM   #23
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg
Did I say "not powerful enough?
Nope, you said, and I'll quote for you again:

Quote:
It's a given fact that in principle, your defensive weapon can't be too powerful
Most people figured out a long time ago that in a defensive weapon there is a trade off between power, round count, and controllability. In one of the most well-known cases, the FBI figured out about 20 years ago that the 10mm was too powerful for most agents to control. Kind of flies in the face of your "fact".

Quote:
Defensive/combat weapons of the past include the army issued 47-70.
Is the army issued 47-70 another one of your "facts"? Any references you can provide a link to? You may find it beneficial to do a little more research on that "fact".

Quote:
The only time a round can be said to be "too powerful" is if collateral damage exceeds allowed levels, or if the target is an unarmed boy,and the shooter is a cop.
As I stated previously, it's pretty common knowledge that a round can be said to be "too powerful" if the benefits of it's power exceed the ability of the user to control it. The FBI figured that out 20 years or so ago and gave us the 40 S&W in place of the full-power (too powerful) 10mm.

As another example, have you ever fired an M-14 on full auto? There's a reason that the military disabled the full-auto selector on them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_rifle

Quote:
Also, because of the M14's powerful 7.62×51 mm cartridge, the weapon was deemed virtually uncontrollable in fully automatic mode....The cartridge was too powerful for the submachine gun role and the weapon was simply too light to serve as a light machine gun replacement for the BAR.
Quote:
I learned this from Elmer Keith forty years ago. Clint Smith gave me a refresher course.
Perhaps another refresher course from more knowledgeable sources is in order.

Page generated in 0.04052 seconds with 8 queries