View Single Post
Old June 26, 2013, 10:33 PM   #520
98raptorta

My reloading bench

I have started reloading recently. I had built your basic 2X4 and particle board work bench in my garage. Nothing fancy, just a basic workbench for small things and for when I do a little wood working. Then I decided to get into reloading. Now, the bench was pretty stout to begin with, but I wanted something tailored a little more for reloading, and I wanted something that looked really nice. I looked through this thread and got a lot of great ideas. I wanted to make the bench a little wider and to add some shelves to the sides. So, I built a front extension that housed 4 T-Tracks, (the bench was 8 feet long, so I needed two tracks to make up the full length), so there were two long tracks that I can mount base boards that my my reloading equipment was going to be mounted to so I can place them anywhere on the bench. To dress up the bench, I used 3/4" oak plywood. This started out with just an oak plywood bench top with a solid oak front cap. Well, as I kept working the project, it ballooned into a lot more than planned. I cut oak veneer to cover all the 2X4s and I added 1/4" oak ply on the sides and edge-banded all the shelving with solid oak. It turned out pretty good. All the reloading equipment if mounted to a 1/2" birch ply with 3/4" oak ply on top. The front and back are edge banded with solid oak and even the sides are iron-on oak veneer. The bottom 1/2" ply is 1/2" wide on the sides so the slide into the cabinet on the left side of the bench. The cabinet has a slide out platform that has my brass tumber on it. The tumber is sitting on a 3/4" rubber sheet to reduce vibration through the bench.The cabinet and the front extension on the bench are removable and are held on with bolts to make moving the bench easier. Here are a couple of pics (sorry for the large size)

You can see the rest of the pics here:
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A1GWZuqDGv2uxX

This project was only going to have my bench top replaced with a T-Track system and then got out of hand! The next project will be to add a large draw system under the bench top that will hold the turrets and dies together for each caliber. BTW, I am reloading .380, 9mm, 45ACP, .223, and 30-06 for my Garand. Will probably jump into .308 down the road once I get the gun! Enjoy!

Scott

Last edited by 98raptorta; June 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.02578 seconds with 8 queries