View Single Post
Old August 11, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Romanian Draco SBR Review

When I first saw the Draco AK, I (drooled a little) instantly ordered one. At the time, they were selling for under $300 so it seemed like a no-brainer for me. I took it out to the range in pistol configuration, got annoyed trying to use a sling to stabilize the gun, came home and mailed off my Form 1 to the BAFTE. Approximately 6 months later, it came back and I got to work.

I move a lot for work so the possibility to live in a SBR unfriendly state is real so I didn't want to permanently modify the rifle. That led me to www.usmachinegun.com and their Draco stock adaptor. Slapped one on, added the Midwest Industries rail, Burris Fastfire II, then finally a brake and I was in business. I also re-finished the rifle in Brownells Alumahyde II Flat Black which is holding up extremely well and looks much better than the original Romanian finish.

Here's a quick summary of the pros and cons:

Pros:
-Chrome lined barrel
-Built in a com-bloc factory
-100% reliable
-12'' barrel loses very little velocity vs. 16'' barrel (approximately 150-200fps)
-It's imported as a pistol so it's not subject to 922r
-Common 14x1 thread pattern means there's a lot of aftermarket brakes/comps availible
-It handles very well in SBR configuration (balances well)
-Standard AK handguard size
-Came covered in cosmoline which protects the rifle
-I like the cover on the front site post vs the more standard open top style
-Mag well isn't too loose nor is it too tight
-Price––Even with the inflated prices of Dracos these days, you can still have a quality SBR for under $1,000

Cons:
-Factory finish is garbage
-The factor wood is rough and unfinished
-Shooting it in pistol form is fun but follow ups are slowed the lack of a stock
-US law requires doing the NFA dance to run the rifle in its' optimal form
-Muzzle nut is welded on (easily ground off, but it's something to point out)

Here's a video of some shooting from 15m, 40m, and 75m followed by a quick tabletop review of the rifle and accessories, and a chronograph test:

Draco Review Video Link

Chrono results:

Golden Tiger 124gr FMJ: 2261fps, 1407 ft/lbs energy

Page generated in 0.02561 seconds with 8 queries