View Single Post
Old July 27, 2011, 12:59 PM   #18
hermannr

The Swiss are required to be part of the milita, and are supplied with a weapon that they must keep at home should they be called on.

If you look at the wording of the Vermont constitution, you will see the same idea (I am not talking about the US 2A, just Vermont). I do believe it could have been done, just like when we had the draft and there were "objectors" that would not support the country by service in the military.

Historically (late 1700's early 1800's), here in the US, if you did not have an arm that could be used in defence of the state and the country, the government would "sell" you one (you paid them back) and it was to be kept for the defence of the state and the country.

This did not change until there started to be large urban centers in the NE in the 1800's

I think what this guy was saying is: it is like the draft, if you don't want to carry, and have reason, then you need to pay a penality.

BTW: A small village near where I live (Riverside, WA) also has a "must" own a firearm on their books...and it has no police force (they contract with the Sheriff) However, there is no penality if you decline to follow this ordinance.

Page generated in 0.02403 seconds with 8 queries