View Single Post
Old February 21, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
BradKincaind

Hypothetical Cartridge Conversion Question.

This is just an idea I have been mulling over for a few days and wanted to see if you guys think it would be possible.

Let's say I wanted to convert a Uberti BP revolver (for this example we can say its an 1860 Army) from cap and ball to cartridges without purchasing one of the commercially available conversion cylinders (for whatever reason). Let's also say I want to convert the Army into .45 Colt since I believe that is more readily available than .44 Colt or .45 Schoefield.

Could I perform this conversion buy purchasing a .45 Colt cylinder for a Uberti Open Top along with the hammer and firing pin for an Open Top (or Richard-Mason or Richard Transition) and just drop them into the 1860 Army? Is there enough similarity between the 1860 and the Open tops to allow them to interchange parts? Obviously I would have to grind out the recoil plate to allow breech loading (and I could forgo the loading gate like the original 1858 Remington conversions did).

If the Open Top parts don't interchange with the Cap and Ball guns how about this idea for converting a 1851 Navy into .38 Special: Use the .38 spl cylinder, hammer, and firing pin from a Uberti Richard-Mason Navy Conversion? Am I wrong in assuming the barrel and hammer from the Richard-Mason would fit the 1851 with little hassle?

I don't plan on attempting this, at least not anytime soon. I just wondered if there was enough similarity between the parts for this to work. I figure the cost of the hammer, firing pin, and cylinder would cost less than one of the gated conversion kits (granted with my idea you wouldn't have a gate, just the ability to breech load).

Thanks for any help you can offer to calm my curiosity.

Brad

Page generated in 0.03505 seconds with 8 queries