View Single Post
Old June 30, 2011, 06:59 AM   #33
mavracer

@TylerD45ACP and @Gehrhard
Both of you are corrrect and wrong at the same time. A little history lesson for you.
A long time ago shotgun shells were loaded with black powder it was measured in drams. When they started using smokeless powder they used dram equivelant to denote the relative powder charge. 3 3/4 - 4 dram 12 guage loads were considered magnum loads. Most 4 dram loads were marked Max as this is considered the maximum. The fact that nobody knows what dram equilvant means anymore and that powder developement has allowed better velocities than were obtainabble baack in the day. Many companies have gone to marking actual velocitiy on the box. Many have also dropped the term magnum from all 2 3/4" loadings all together. I assume so some who have what I call magnumitis will feel the need to buy the more expensive 3" magnums. Bottom line both the standard velocity 9 OO buck loads the ones going 1300 fps not the reduced recoil ones and the 12 pellot loads should most certainly be concidered 2 3/4" magnum loads no matter what is printed on the box.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."

Page generated in 0.02083 seconds with 8 queries