View Single Post
Old January 2, 2001, 12:20 PM   #13
Glamdring

First thank you all for good constructive comments!

Art: I guess I tend to think of big game smaller than elk as not to demanding in bullet/caliber selection. The other thing is I tend to view most hunting as just practice for the two types of hunting I really want to do but can't afford just yet [or even if I could afford it, I don't think my skill level is where I want it to be yet for that type of hunting].

I strongly prefer to have an exit wound for various reasons. One reason that I haven't seen mentioned in hunting related print is that an exit wound is almost always bigger than an entry wound. The exceptions usually involve a bullet that fragments.

I really want to hunt Mt Game, sheep and goats, and I really want to take what I consider to be dangerous game, African Lion & the big bears. With either Mt game or dangerous game you won't always be able to wait for the desired target angle, you may have to take the shot that is offered or go home empty handed. I don't want to argue hunting ethics but to me a hunt to be fully sucessful must include taking the game. It is a challenge. If I don't want to shoot an animal I would stalk them with a camera [something I am working on also].

So Hot Core you raised several good points, but part of my dilemia is that I would like to find a caliber/load that would work well on Mt Game and one that would work well on Dangerous Game and use that set up for most of my hunting. Or as close to that as possible so that I know my gun/caliber/load combination as well as I can from frequent use.

Page generated in 0.03676 seconds with 8 queries