View Single Post
Old February 21, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7
garryc

It is a cock on close rifle. All the Mausers were up until the 98. If it's difficult to push forward then it probably does have a heavier spring, or it does need a strip and clean. Gunk in the spring will make it hard to operate.

I'd strip that gun down to basic components. Remove the action from the stock and take the striker assembly out of the bolt. Take the bolt catch apart and disassemble the floor plate. You'll need a small punch to take the floor plate latch apart. I use denatured alcohol in a pan. The small parts can soak while I clean the action. What appears to be grease might be oil that has accumulated dust. I use a nylon brush on the parts and often have to use Q-tips. I use a small dental pick in the tight spots that tend to harden. Often I'll use Brake Cleaner to blow the junk out. Then I lightly oil the whole gun, I use FP-10.

I use FP-10 on the striker assembly if I'm not going to shoot the rifle much. Otherwise I use litheum grease. I blow that grease off with brake cleaner every few trips to the range and replace it. It is completely removed and replaced with FP-10 before extended storage. I take one weekend every two months and clean and inspect every gun I have. Oil doesn't have a chance to turn to gunk.

Page generated in 0.03570 seconds with 8 queries