View Single Post
Old June 25, 2007, 06:21 PM   #5
MrApathy

Remington JHP 180gr are easier to load and are a pretty nice widemouth JHP.

for Golden Sabers
load a test case and check for setback with your crimp.
test how easily the bullet comes out with a bullet puller

if you try crimping the casemouth flush to the bullet make sure you just bring it flush and not into the bullet to leave a crease mark. make sure to work the load up with a flush crimp as it will add pressure. be sure to check accuracy and speed look for pressure signs. crimping the casemouth flush will reduce the life of that case significantly.

I crimp my 180gr Golden Saber loads to .414" bullet .388" where crimped.
not setting back easily or coming out with a puller easily.

havent measure remington factory golden saber crimp but seen it in a store and heres a pic at midway looks flush
http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dl...eitemid=550296

by comparison winchester white box 50 cartridge factory 180gr JHP is crimped to .416 way to much and I know if I pull it I will find a squished or creased bullet.
speer gold dot 50 cartridge box factory 180gr GDHP is crimped to .420

only with the Golden Saber will I do that otherwise I try to go with .420-.424 for crimp depends on bullet lead or plated larger
jacketed little less.

take a cartridge and the barrel insert cartridge with a bore light illuminate it. be sure to do that with only barrel and not the rest of the pistol. maybe with the slide but without the striker or firing pin unless using a dummy cartridge.

GoldDots are overpriced nearly $20 for box of 100 for what they are and not very consistent in size.

Golden Sabers in 9mm are not nearly as bad as in 40sw/10mm.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes

Page generated in 0.02352 seconds with 8 queries