View Single Post
Old May 17, 2005, 09:08 AM   #8
beenthere

Safety Gear

I have the typical Bug Out Bag complete with at least three days worth of prescription medicines. One thing I've done at the lake cottage is somewhat different from anyone else I've heard of and concerns long term water supply. We've lost power for extended periods a couple of times. Once so many trees were down it was impossible to drive for 5 days.

I took 3 sections of 2" X 10' plastic pipe and joined them with elbows and filled it with builders sand. If I can get water from the lake or ice to melt I can pour the water in and when it traverses the 30' length it comes out very clear. I would still treat it with purification tablets or iodine but it's clarity satisfies the visual appeal. I'm sure some actual impurities are also filtered out of the water too. On the other hand I'm not so confident in the system that I'd use "yellow" snow.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour

Page generated in 0.02508 seconds with 8 queries