View Single Post
Old January 15, 2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Fishing_Cabin

I watched part of the video. No offense I dont do infowars that much...WIth that said, and having watched many other videos on the same subject, I will share my thoughts.

I think its interesting and the technology will only get better in time, if allowed. The interesting idea with 3d printing is that its not only used for firearms, but for a vast aray of other uses as well on varying levels.

Basically, in reference to the 3D printing ability and gun control, I think it factors in to gun control in only that, honest law abiding folks will resist the urge to break the law if it becomes illegal in all 50 states. Criminals, hence the name typically dont follow laws so this would be one avenue for them to obtain standard capacity mags.

Things I would like to see with this printing firearm parts:

1. Im not the smartest when it comes to computers, but would love to know more about the process, and what (program and equipment wise) is involved, and how to set it up.

2. From reading of the lowers breaking that they tried, I wonder if there could be any way to have the 3D printing techniques to be able to print around/on a steal or aluminum die/brace/reinforcement/whatever you want to call it to stregnthen it. Talking about mags generally speacking, I believe it was the lancer AR mags that had steal feedlips in a polymer body. Unsure if it would work with 3D printing, let alone any issues with patents, user agreements, etc.

3. Wonder how the project could be expanded to include many other types of firearms as well.

4. I do think it will take a bit longer to become "ripe" speaking, its going to take a while for to get the price down on the equipment though. The printers I have research seem to go between $2-$3k and unsure beyond that whatever software etc, may be required. I also think its going to take a while for consumers to warm to the idea, if at all, "hey, I will make it myself instead" vs going out and buying a manufactured product instead.

ETA:

I think this will bring interest in building stuff to a whole new generation.

It seems to be easier then the older process of using a form block, and a hammer or press to form the metal around the block to make a mag at home the old fashioned way.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; January 15, 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.02214 seconds with 8 queries