View Single Post
Old July 4, 2011, 02:43 PM   #32
mellow_c

20 gauge!

If the gun is for your wife, and your concerned that she might not be able to handle a heavier gun, GET A 20 GAUGE!

I've seen a lot lately that shows the 20 gauge to be very close to the 12 gauge in energy and destruction down range, especially up close. But the 20 gauge has much less recoil, and is always going to be a lighter and easier gun to shoot. Pump shotguns like the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge have very real advantages over the 12 gauge in a home defense roll. They are physically smaller and lighter guns, but still maintain fire power that is very close to the 12 gauge. Same can go for a double.

I've even considered switching to a 20 gauge.

I've also considered buying a double for home defense. I'd like the CZ Coah Gun, http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...case-hardened/ Although I think it's only available in 12 gauge. I like that it can be stored safely with the hammers down and chambers loaded. The hammers sit back from the firing pins while down. It's a bit expensive for a HD gun, but I think I'd be happy enough with it to pay for it. I've read a good review of it in a gun magazine as well. If it is for HD, make sure you have extra shells available, preferably on the gun in a shell carrier. You would hope that 2 will do, but if not, your gona need a reload. An empty gun is a less effective deffensive tool than a baseball bat!

Last edited by mellow_c; July 4, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.02344 seconds with 8 queries