View Single Post
Old April 9, 2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Crosshair

Elemental lead is basically inert. They are still pulling Mini-ball bullets out of civil war battle fields that are full weight. Yea you'll absorb a smidgin through skin, but not enough to cause harm. Unless he is sucking on it like a gobstopper it won't hurt him.

My dad "borrowed" one of my 5 lb ingots to have on his desk. Just to watch the look on people's faces when they try and pick it up, thinking it's something lightweight like aluminum or zinc.

The danger with lead is when it is in the form of organic compounds, which is the case with leaded gasoline and lead paint. Both have the lead bound into organic compounds that are VERY easily absorbed into living creatures.

It's not lead itself that is dangerous. It's the FORM that the lead is in that makes it dangerous.

Example: Nitroglycerin in its pure form is highly unstable and very dangerous. Mix that Nitroglycerin in various ways and you get dynamite and smokeless powder, neither of which are anywhere remotely as dangerous or unstable as Nitroglycerin even though they both contain it.

Page generated in 0.02412 seconds with 8 queries