Thread: Scopes?
View Single Post
Old February 23, 2006, 07:36 PM   #2
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
No doubt the majority use 3x9-40 for hunting but in the south where a lot of hunting is done from stands, late in the day most use 3x9-50. The 50mm objective improves light gathering characteristics and allows for shots with less light. If it were me and I was gonna shoot cayotes in the day light with the 223 i would put a 3.5x10 or a 4x12-40 , nothing less than a 6-40.
For hunting out west you will be making not only long shots but shots with low light might come up so I would scope the 06 with something like a 4.5x14-50, nothing less than a 3x9-50.
Look for a scope that has a clear picture out to the edges, lay it on a sturdy rest and while looking through it move your head from side to side while watching the cross hairs on an object at the other end of the store or as far away as possible, note how much the cross hairs move on the target(paralex). Less is better for obvious reasons. When you go to buy shop, there is a lot of good quality glass out there that you can have without breaking the bank. However, I do reccommend spending as much as you can feel comfortable with. Also buy a good sturdy mount.

Page generated in 0.02116 seconds with 8 queries