View Single Post
Old November 8, 2009, 09:55 PM   #1
jdscholer

20 Gauge #8's Perfect for Coyotes

My quail huntin partner Gunner and I decided to go out to our favorite patch this afternoon and find some birds, but---- ya just never know whats gonna happen.

We had stomped around for a quarter mile or so when I happened to spot a coyote fleeing the area about 300 yds away. As I watched him, another one came out of the draw below us about 100 yds away. The furthest one apparently had an appointment somewhere else, but the close one stopped about 200 yds out, looking back at us. It seemed that he hadn't really busted us, and with the sun directly behind us, he didn't have a good visual of us. Gunner who is a wirehaired dog, hadn't seen either of them, and was simply nosing around.

The coyote would have been a pretty fair rifle shot, but all I had was my little 20 gauge Remington 870 Express, with bird shells. I was wearing pretty good camo except for my face, and we were in fairly tall sagebrush. I thought what the heck, I'd try squeaking at him. By kissing the back of my hand, I made my best tortured rat imitation. The coyote perked up noticeably, and then started a bee-line right for us.

There wasn't much I could do to hide Gunner quick or quietly, so I decided to start his career as a coyote decoy dog. I actually think the coyote saw him, but not me.

The coyote went out of sight as he came back across the bottom of the draw, but I spotted him again as he came higher on our side. He was definitely going to come all the way. When he was about thirty yards out, I stood up ready to shoot, and because of the brush, he didn't see me until he was within about fifteen feet. It didn't take him long to swap ends and if I hadn't been on the ball he would have gotten enough brush between us to escape. At about 15 or 20 yards though, I let him have it and he went down not quite dead. Gunner, being the natural retriever, was instantly on him, but I managed to call him back before he got bit and get another shot into the coyote at a distance that wouldn't shred his pelt too bad.

I've called and killed a lot of coyotes, but these circumstances were a first for me, and it was pretty cool. I think from now on when quail hunting, I'll carry a few BB or #4 Buck in my pocket as well as a call. #8 bird shot really isn't quite the right size for coyotes in most situations.

Here' a couple pics if it works. jd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyote quail web.jpg (159.4 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg coyote quail web 02.jpg (159.6 KB, 402 views)

Page generated in 0.03928 seconds with 9 queries