Thread: Old bolt guns
View Single Post
Old January 12, 2018, 10:17 PM   #2
Idaho 45 Vaquero

I like the way you talk Cheapshooter.

I've been interested in them as well. My father and uncle's very first shotguns were bolt actions. They were Glenfield ones, (made by Marlin but cheaper storebrand/mail-order catalog). That was around 1957 or so. Some of the most interesting and affordable guns today are the using guns of the common American man. Bolt action shotguns, break open single shots, old .22's.

Not exactly about a bolt action shotgun but,...
When my grandfather came out to Idaho after WWII to start a farm out in the southwest Idaho sagebrush he didn't have much. He had a new new bride with a new baby, a WWII army truck, a milk cow, and the only gun he had was a single shot Springfield break open shotgun (basically a store-brand Stevens I think) that had the top half of the stock cut off and glued to the bottom (to give more drop in the stock). Even though he didn't like that gun, particularly because the stock wanted to rest in his armpit, he had to use it those first lean years to take sage-grouse and pheasants. He didn't care much for eating birds so he was quite relieved when after a few years he was rich enough to have a herd of beef cows. My father still owns that shotgun, and I or my brother will probably have it someday.

I got lots of old 1940's - 1960's farm and hunting stories from my fathers childhood, but I'll save them for another time.

Page generated in 0.03027 seconds with 8 queries