View Single Post
Old May 22, 2007, 01:21 AM   #60
T. O'Heir

A Model 88 is a hunting rifle. Your's shoot well now. You may want to consider a trigger job though. 1 in 10 rifling should stabilize most deer bullet weights(80 grains and up) reasonably well. It won't like light varmint bullets(under 80 grains) as well. Nobody says you must use light bullets for varmints though. A 105 SP (my rifling is 1 in 9.5, I think) nearly turns a ground hog inside out. And the rifle shoots 'minute of deer'. Even after doing the trigger job and glass bedding.
However, set your seating die up to give the max OAL given in your manual and leave it there.
Then, do this.
Beginning with the starting load, load 5 rounds only. Go up by half a grain of powder, loading 5 of each and keeping them separate until you get to the max load in your manual.
Then go shooting. Shoot at 100 yards, for group only, slowly and deliberately off a bench. Sand bags are your friend.
Change targets between strings of 5 and allow time for the barrel to cool.
Once you have a load that is consistent, you can try different cartridge OAL's. Mind you, with a hunting rifle, the group will only get so small. Like I said, an inch, if it's consistent, is nothing to sneeze at.

Page generated in 0.02327 seconds with 8 queries