View Single Post
Old March 8, 2006, 11:40 AM   #21
Shawn Dodson

Quote:
Can a weekend course once in your life make that much difference?
Yes. It could very well provide the Dr. Phil-like “lightbulb moment” that leads to a new understanding about the mechanics of interpersonal conflict.

Anyone who attends a training course with the expectation that he/she will emerge from it an expert is fooling himself/herself. A training course is simply an introduction to concepts and techniques. Training drills merely provide the opportunity to learn how to perform correctly, which must be further developed by the student after the course if he/she desires to increase proficiency.

Quote:
I found that to gain a level of competence with any new tactic, repetition was a must.
“New tactic?” All you’ve addressed is marksmanship.

I have no doubt that competing in shooting sports has the potential to make one a better shot, over a wide range of conditions that challenge one’s marksmanship abilities against paper and cardboard targets, in a safe, controlled environment. However marksmanship is only part of the equation.

Good FoF training will put you in the middle of an ambiguous, emotionally charged situation where you learn it is the bad guy who controls the fight, not you. More than once I’ve seen cocksure people suddenly find themselves in over their heads because their preconceived notions are inappropriate to the situation.

Page generated in 0.02466 seconds with 8 queries