View Single Post
Old February 10, 2019, 07:26 PM   #11
FireForged

I wouldn't put narrow parameters on what you "think" your gunfight is going to be like as you will probably be wrong. Stats have their place is basic planning but you seem to be basing your whole basket on someone eles idea of "standards".

Sure, you need to be able to get shots on target during a fast moving crisis. That is going to take having your head on straight, having substantial mental grit and resolve to get things done. You need to be able to control your gun to the degree that you land hits on your target. It doesn't have to be pretty and being an elite marksman does not mean you will win. Hits on target?..yes. Impressively ordered hits on target?.. not so much. Winning has to do with a lot of things .. skill, resolve, tactics, strategics, position, initiative, timing and happenstance.

If I were you, I would select 1 gun that I know I will carry and one that I am currently the most proficient with and I would invest myself in that platform. I would not worry about what I can or cant do with a j frame. There is nothing wrong with a snub revolver and I do own a couple of them but how practical are they given the availability of all sorts of similar sized guns if you have already decided that you are lacking in proficiency regarding that weapon type. I would select a gun, get involved in some force on force training and allow real (person vs person) scenarios mold my idea of what a gunfight involves. Maybe its 3 yards .. maybe its 13 yards .. maybe I reload or maybe I only need 1 shot. The bottom line is that training with a real training adversary will offer a lot of realistic insight that competition does not.

On speed.. I would say that nobody wants to be slow and nobody is trying to be slower on the draw but I am not really inclined to believe that speed of draw is going to determine the victor in many current day gunfights. I have never tried to be fast, I simply try to be fluid and efficient in my movements. I allow " my-speed" to be a byproduct of minimalistic mechanics and practice. I don't measure it.. it is what it is. I am as fast as I am and I don't put a timer on it, I think that is a mistake.

Last edited by FireForged; February 10, 2019 at 07:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.02767 seconds with 8 queries