View Single Post
Old April 16, 2013, 08:12 AM   #93
Webleymkv

Originally posted by Kochman
Quote:
Yes, that's the problem... the gun grabbers won't rest... so I somewhat understand a "make no compromise" position, until we consider the costs. Again, I think it's a cut off one's nose despite one's face stance which will hasten the reoccurence of the next massacre, which the more frequent they are the more likely BAD change is coming our way.
The problem with the idea of "compromise" is that gun control advocates, by and large, have a very different idea of what "compromise" is than I do. What substantive expansions of our rights have we been offered in exchange for submitting to UBC's? Sales of handguns across state lines? Pardon me if I don't get all excited about a bread crumb like that. To my mind, a compromise means that we're offered something of equal or greater value to what we're being asked to submit to. If we were offered relaxing or easing some NFA regulations, elimination of the asenine "sporting purposes" tests or nationwide preemption then I might be more open to considering a "compromise" for UBC's but such is not the case. Gun control advocates' idea of "compromise" seems to be more along the lines of "sit down, shut up, and just be glad that we don't want more."

As far as hastening the next massacre, I see absolutely zero evidence that refusing to pass UBC's would do that. Looking at the notable mass shootings in recent years, none of the shooters got their weapons through private-party transactions or some sort of "gun show loophole." The Columbine shooters got theirs through a straw purchase, the Virginia Tech, Tuscon, and Aurora shooters all passed a background check to buy theirs (largely because their mental health issues and past crimes were unreported and/or ignored by the authorities), and the Sandy Hook shooter got his through murder and theft.

What I fear happening is that if we pass UBC's and the next mass shooting happens (and it eventually will if we don't address mental health, NICS reporting, and school security), the gun control advocates will bemoan that UBC's weren't enough and start pushing for the "next step" such as full-on Registration, AWB, or magazine capacity limits.

Page generated in 0.03805 seconds with 8 queries