Thread: Dog Defense?
View Single Post
Old January 20, 2012, 09:20 PM   #56
Panfisher

Not everyone is physically or mentally capable of taking on a large dog with a stick. i.e. my 18 year old daughter, loves animals, is about 100 pounds soaking wet and likes to jog, tough to jog with a walking stick. Stream type pepper spray will work on dogs, perhaps not on all dogs, but I would rather her carry something that worked on 85% of dogs than not carry anything while looking for the perfect thing. Kind of like a .22LR pistol on your person is better than a .45 back at the house.

If walking, a lightweight walking stick similar to a ski-pole or the cold steel sjambok or similar item works well, much lighter than a club sized walking stick and can used in a full swing with pretty good result. Most dogs know what sticks are and don't like to get too close. Never run, back away slowly and stand tall, use a loud forceful voice, most dogs will respond to it. I am a dog lover and have stared or backed down many dogs, and have been bit also (mostly because I ignored the little rat b$#@%^%d, instead of dealing with it), and as much as I like dogs, the life of a person who isn't attacking me or my family is worth more than the dog. As for a knife shouldn't everyone carry a mini-griptillian sized one hand opening knife anyway??

Page generated in 0.02595 seconds with 8 queries